A big thanks to Marcia from Running Off at the Mouth for bestowing me with the Beautiful Blogger Award! I’m so honored and so loving reading the trail of bloggers that led to me. I look forward to adding them to my blog roll soon!
To accept the award, I have to list 7 random facts about myself and pass it along to 7 other beautiful bloggers. First, just the facts:
1. I played rugby for 6 years. I wasn’t terrible, but then I went to grad school and started running and found that I didn’t miss being pounded to a pulp three times a week. My true love is rugby sevens anyway, which just became an Olympic sport! And while I mostly played wing and center, my last few seasons I was a hooker. Go ahead and make your jokes. I’ve heard them all.
2. Cheryl and I came in second in the inaugural DC High Trek Adventure Race! We dressed as Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton and won two Timbuk2 bags.We also got some national press for it ;). And here’s Cheryl’s account, complete with pictures. Yes, that’s my belly in the last picture.
3. I met the Flight of the Conchords! The guy who mastered Boy Monkey’s first two CDs (available here) runs monitors for Bret and Jemaine on tour, so he got us tickets and back stage passes to
their DC show last April. Yeah, the Ambassador of New Zealand was bogarting all the attention, but we did get our picture taken with Bret!
4. I also once chased Ben Folds down the streets of NYC to meet him after a show and practically had a breakdown afterward. He used to be my A#1 favorite favorite favorite artist, but I kind of hate his new stuff. Also, on a job interview, I once listed him as a person I wanted to have dinner with because I wanted to tell him to stop performing the song “Bitches Ain’t Shit.” There’s something disconcerting to me as a woman about a room full of people pumping their fists and screaming, “Bitches ain’t shit!” I did not get the job. (But it was in Baltimore, so I’m going to say I won that war.)
5. My parents just celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary, but I remain terrified of marriage and unconvinced that it can last forever. I do, however, co-own my condo with Boy Monkey (we celebrated our 5-year anniversary in late 2009). I believe in home ownership and the American Dream!
6. I was the first researcher to complete a project using the Library of Congress’ Patsy Mink papers. I wrote my MA thesis on the regulations of Title IX. Thrilling stuff, let me tell you.
7. Ok, this last fact is something that I have kept actively hidden. But now you will all know my secret shame: In high school, I was in the color guard. Actually, I was the captain my senior year.
Ok, that was embarrassing. Now to pay it forward. I’d like to bestow the Beautiful Blogger award on
1. Katie at Music for Misanthropes
2. Hannah at Hannah’s Tri Tales
3. Jessica at Chasing Consciousness
4. RunningBrooke at RunningBrooke
5. Holly at Stop Street Harassment (Though, especially in light of her troubles this week, I can see why she wouldn’t want to share 7 facts about herself. But maybe 7 facts about street harassment or how we can stop it?)
6. Mike at 26.2 Is My Cooldown (for those Hawaii pictures alone)
7. MCM Mama at MCM Mama
So if you haven’t already, go check out these awesome blogs! I’ve been refreshing weather.com since I woke up 2 hours ago, and now it looks like it’s finally warm enough for a run 🙂 See you out there!